Tuesday 4 October 2011

There Are Good People in the World!

Today after a photography meeting, whilst walking to collect my bike with a fellow journalism student, I realised that I didn't have my keys. While walking down the steps towards my beloved vehicle, I thought to myself, "I must have left the keys in the lock of my bike." I was comforted by the fact that my bike was parked in a very quiet place, and it was night time, so not many people would be around. I was quite sure nobody would have noticed the keys dangling from the chain that attached my bike to a pole.

However as I drew closer to my bike, which was indeed still there, I saw something different about it. There was something odd hanging from the right brake - the one furthest from the eyes of any passing students. As I stared, I realised that I had indeed left my keys with my bike, but someone had taken them out of the lock, and hung them somewhere they'd be a little less visible, so that nobody would steal my bike.

I've been thinking about this ever since. There are too many people in the world that I'd never be able to trust - so many, in fact, that when it comes to the population in general, I would always think "don't leave that there, someone's bound to steal it" or something along those lines, instead of "someone will have hidden the keys a bit better". But here was a person who, perhaps, thought "someone's bound to steal that bike" and actually helped me out a bit.

This brought something back to me though - a thought that struck me about a month ago, when having tea with a friend. After paying for the tea, and heading towards the cafe exit, I felt a little tap on my hand. When I turned around I saw a child of about eight years old holding out €15 to me, which I had dropped and not even noticed. I was so touched by this that I wanted to give the boy a reward for his honesty, but when I turned back to him he had gone.

This incident made me feel quite proud, if I'm honest. I was proud of that boy for being so honest, and I was proud of his parents for bringing him up that way I've seen too many children watch someone walk away from money they had dropped, and then dash to pick it up and put it in their own pocket before someone else could grab it.

It made me realise that the world isn't quite as bad as I thought it was. There are some good people in it - quite a few in fact - people who will go out of their way to help others. I was so grateful to that little boy, and it was unfortunate that he was gone before I could give him a reward, I would have liked to show him that his honesty was very much appreciated, and in that case I would have given him a few euro to buy sweets. I greatly appreciate the act of kindness that the person showed today, by putting my keys out of sight, and I hope that person will receive good karma for what they've done. That is, if karma even exists.


4 Oct 2011
by Jessica Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment