Monday 10 October 2011

I Get Around

So, yesterday while walking from the train station to my flat in Galway, it was pouring rain. Ok, so it was just a bit of drizzle, but it was that drenching drizzle that gets you right to the bone. I also slipped at one stage - one of those epic moments where you're walking along minding your own business, you slip, and immediately you get up again and keep walking as if nothing happened! So my point is, I was absolutely soaked. So what did I do?

I put my umbrella down, and my hood down and I embraced the rain - not literally, obviously, as water is impossible to embrace. There's something fun about walking in the rain, and sometimes there's just no point in trying to keep dry - though I wouldn't recommend getting soaked unless you're on your way to warm clothes and a hair dryer!

So this brings me to my main point - music. What made me embrace the rain was my ipod - thank you Steve Jobs, you have left the world a number of amazing inventions and you will be missed! There's nothing quite like wandering along in the rain listening to some uplifting songs, because - lets face it! - the Galway weather isn't exactly uplifting! My advice to frequent rain-walkers is to find a great song or two - for me it was an amazing track called 'I.V' by a wonderful Japanese band called X Japan. The lyrics and melody of the song just made me feel so dramatic as I strutted through puddles, mouthing the words to myself, not even trying to avoid the rain - it was quite a joyful walk for me!

This morning, however, I found the perfect band to keep my spirits high during the rainy weather - we may as well accept it because winter is creeping over us, slowly but surely! So what is this band of which I speak? Why, The Beach Boys of course! Their supreme harmonies really grab the attention of the musician, and as their voices get higher, so do my spirits, and of course, they make one think of Summer - "We can't wait for June". Today I plan to walk through the rain with The Beach Boys in my ears - "I'm a real cool head, I make real good bread". Ok so some of the lyrics are funny, but I gotta give them credit - they do make me smile!

Songs such as "I Get Around", "Barbara Anne", "Wouldn't it be Nice", "Surfin' USA" and "Fun, Fun, Fun", to name but a few, are real feel good songs. Even the slower ones such as the beautiful "God Only Knows", which I analysed for a music assignment in college last year, is a great candidate for a 'rainy day' song.

So what's my advice, you ask! Well I answer you with the following: grab your ipods, grab your dad's CD collection - or your mother's, but I know I robbed The Beach Boys from my dad - and get importing the classic, feel good tunes! Set up a 'rainy day' playlist, and you're rolling!! But don't forget the wellies and the rain coats! Though your spirits will not be dampened by the weather, your clothes will be!

A perfect example - my house mate just walked in, after being soaked by a passing lorry - he could do with some feel good music in his ears!

And finally, before I go, here's a perfect tune to get you started! Just look at them dancing away!


This is a video of their live performance on the T.A.M.I Show in 1964, taken from Youtube. Enjoy!

10 Oct 2011
by Jessica Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment